FOR MORE THAN
Fuzes and safety and arming devices – as reliable as clockwork
There for you internationally – our locations
The JUNGHANS Defence umbrella brand consists of the two companies, JUNGHANS Microtec GmbH in Dunningen-Seedorf, on the edge of the Black Forest, and JUNGHANS T2M SAS, headquartered in La Ferté St. Aubin, a few kilometres south of Orléans. Despite the fact that they are legally separate, the two competence centres are closely interlinked to ensure seamless cooperation and constant exchanges.
You can find more information on the expertise of the individual locations in our skills section.
History – Overview
On the German side, the history of the JUNGHANS company began in 1861 with the establishment of a watch factory by Erhard Junghans.
In 1905, a second core business area of the company was created with the development and production of fuzes.
On the French side, fuze activity began during the First World War with the equipment of ammunition for the light Brandt mortar systems with fuzes.
Joint electronic fuze activities began at the end of 1950 between the two companies TRT-Philips and Thomson CSF
The takeover of JUNGHANS by the Diehl Group in 1957 advanced the fuze activities in particular.
In 1984, the fuze business was completely separated from the watch industry.
In 1990, the French fuze activities of Thomson-CSF and Philips Defence were merged into one company. This merger led to the founding of Thomson-TRT-Defense Munition Electronic.
The joint venture with TDA Armements and the central bundling of activities and skills at the site in La Ferté Saint Aubin took place in 1995.
Establishment of a new company, JUNGHANS Feinwerktechnik GmbH, which has established itself as a recognised global market leader for fuzes.
In 2000, Diehl sold the JUNGHANS watch factory and focused exclusively on the defence business.
In preparation for the joint venture with the French fuze business of the Thales Group, JUNGHANS Feinwerktechnik was renamed JUNGHANS Microtec GmbH in 2007.
JUNGHANS Microtec GmbH was founded in 2008 as a joint venture between the Diehl Group (55% of the shares) and Thales (45% of the shares), with JUNGHANS T2M as a 100% subsidiary of JUNGHANS Microtec GmbH.
In 2015, the trademark JUNGHANS Defence, which represents the joint venture as a whole, was introduced.